Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Long Way From Home October 26th 2011

I had to travel out of town on business this week. Left yesterday and just got in the door. Princess gave me an enthusiastic welcome home fit for a King! She's doing great!! Walking on her right leg from time to time and even thinking about Wooshing. Wooshing is what we call what dogs do when they're happy, healthy and full of energy. They run around like mad cutting in an out. She's was quite good at Wooshing. I don't dare hope that maybe she'll might get back to it some day.

Knowing that I was leaving, I figured that I might have to skip writing since I was not going to be around to watch Princess during the day. Quite the opposite.  She was on my mind constantly. I realize how fortunate I am to be able to be with her during the day. I work from home. Princess and I spend most days together; me talking on the phone and typing, Princess laying close by - usually in the sun. I'm incredibly grateful for that time - especially now.  Every so often during the day I talk to Princess. She knows lots of phrases that usually start with "you wanna" followed by "go for car ride", "go walking" "get a treat". There's also the "who's here?" or "go check" or "the kids are home" or "put buck(our rabbit) in his cage" at which time she herds him back home. There are many others and I'm sure that your dogs do the same amazing things.

I'm thinking of all of you who are in the same situation as our family. A loved pet who's ill. Most people can't spend days with their pets like I can. It must be incredibly hard. The other day I was cleaning out some papers and ran across a large note on a card that said "SIT". I vaguely remember trying to teach Princess to read with questionable success. Why I wrote it so big, I don't know. She sees fine.  She's no genius but she's smart.

So she's had another great day. She seems pain free and using her leg more often. We've had to ration her food. Her appetite has increased quite a bit. Much more than even before the cancer diagnosis. If you remember in week one she gained 6 lbs. We plan on weighing her on Friday. We are so happy. All good for now.

1 comment: